to Japanese
TOP
General Information
Admissions
Academics
Student Life
Alumnae

TEL.+81-3-3407-5811
FAX.+81-3-5485-3884

Address:
4-3-1 Hiroo Shibuya-ku Tokyo, Japan 150-8938

Copyright(c),
University of the Sacred Heart, Tokyo.
All rights reserved

Palace
back The student affairs office Clubs & Activities Committees Financial Support Study Abroad   For Foreign Students Study Abroad   For Undergraduate Students, Graduate Students Job Information Student Housing Madeleine Sophie Center Facilities and Equipment Palace

   This building, formerly called the Kuni Palace, was the residence of Prince Kuni, father of the late Empress Dowager. She was engaged to Emperor Showa In 1918. Construction on the building began in March 1922, but the construction schedule was delayed due to the major earthquake that hit Tokyo area in September 1923. The Palace was connected to the main building, which is now called Kuni House. Pictures show Princess Nagako leaving from the formal entrance of Kuni House on her way to the Royal Wedding.
   
   The total building area is 422.4 square meters. The purely Japanese style uses zelkova, camphor paulownia, Japanese cypress and cedar. The camphor flooring and zelkova boards upstairs are especially worth seeing. On the ceiling were 78 ?gshikishi?h paintings, which were presented to the family by famous artists like Gyoshu Hayami, Ryushi Kawabata, Kokei Kobayashi, Gakuryo Nakarnura, Seison Maeda and Shinsui Tokuoka ( the Paintings are currently not on display
   
   When the University of the Sacred Heart purchased the land in 1948, the Palace stood near the present library. The building was refurbished so that it could be used as a school building. The original reception room was converted into a chapel, and other rooms were used as classrooms for the students; though the paper walls were thin, no one minded the noise coming from the next room. The Palace was moved to its present site in 1949; in 1950, all the university functions were transferred to the new No. 1 building. Since that time, the building has been used in various ways. In 1986, It was restored to what it was 60 years ago. Presently, tlle Palace is used by the students for lessons in Japanese traditional culture, such as tea ceremony, flower arrangement, calligraphy, Japanese painting, theatre and musical Instruments.